Friday 8 May 2020

What's in a name?

What's in a name? 

My middle name is Winston. 

I'm named that way after my dad for reasons that are all to do with this very day. 8th May. 

Today is the 75 anniversary of VE (Victory in Europe) Day. On that day, the 8th May 1945 a nation was reborn.


Meanwhile, that same day in the south Derry village of Tamlaght O'Crilly, the fourth child of Thomas and Sarah Pollock was born. My grandparents had planned to name the child Robert if it were a boy. It was… and they did… but the medical team present at the birth were adamant that such a historic day as it was needed to be commemorated in the name of the child. So, dad was duly named Robert WINSTON Smyth Pollock, and he's been Winston to all who know him ever since! 


So, my middle Christian name carries deep significance for me because of the family and the history it ties me to. 

So does my Christian name. 

Christopher is derived from the Greek words that translate directly as 'bearer of Christ'

That, the bible makes abundantly clear, is who I am. It's what I am created and called to be. A bearer of Christ, A witness to the light. 

I'm thankful that my name is written in the The Lamb's book of life …. 

And that it's not Adolf! 


No comments: